Friday, April 8, 2011

Characteristics, Diagnosis, Symptoms.

 This picture was stolen from Tumblr, by yours truly a while back, and it seemed funny at the time, then I started pondering on it. Thinking of it, this is completely true, research is going on every minute based on certain characteristics we have.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate that research is taking place. I feel it is opening our mind to how our brain works and how much of a "miracle" *in Ben Carson's Voice*  it is. There are certain things our body does and I want to know how the brain sends those signals.

But there are just certain things that are completely redundant and should be seen as a certain characteristic of people, rather than taking prescription drugs to numb them down. I'd give proper examples of certain "syndromes" that time shouldn't be wasted on. I think the time should be used to find the cure of Cancer or something. But even with that you have to give it to them for their findings.

  • Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)- This syndrome is mostly an unconscious movement of the legs, it begins or intensifies during quite wakefulness. This is a characteristic I know many people have, I know my senior sister has it. But it has never been a problem, I remember I tried to mimic her certain times. I know, I knew when she was completely asleep or just resting her eyes (It allowed me to know when and how I'd steal something from her room). Notwithstanding most people suffer from severe RLS, and sometimes sleepless nights occur. For reduced effect Doctors prescribe Dopamine for patients who have severe RLS. READ MORE! 


Now this was really funny. Why would one feel this is a rare disease? If this is a real disease I think the whole of human race suffers from it. I know I never want to get up from my very comfortable bed, but we do get up eventually. The cure to Dysania would be screaming this word to does who feel they have it. "Get the F*** up from that bed, You stink already". I was talking to a friend about this and he said  "If you think you suffer from this #YouAreAWeist". I couldn't stop laughing. But he sure does have a point.

  • Tourette Syndrome (TS)- I don't know why, but this is one disorder that fascinate me. Tourette is an inherited neuropsychiatric disorder that is onset from childhood as multiple physical tics and at leats one vocal tic. I was researching online and I found endless stuff on it. An example of this would a little kid having vocal tics and would unconsciously voice out demeaning words like N*****, F*** and so on. READ MORE! I watched an episode of South Park, where the character Eric Cartman found a kid who had TS in the mall. And he was so excited that someone could scream out demeaning words and wouldn't be blamed or criticized, instead pitied. Eric decided from then on he would claim he had TS to escape criticism. At the end Eric found out he really did have TS. It was hilarious. (P.S South Park shouldn't be in no way exposed to kids. It is an adult cartoon and it totally does not put into consideration the purity of kids.)

 Lately people use certain disorders to back up their faults. I know I have done it, I have either been  Bipolar, Schizophrenic or Depressed based on what I was going through at that particular time. But that aside I know there are people who suffer from some of these Mental Disorders, and I can't even imagine how hard they cope. Making awareness of certain disorders can help people out there, and they would in turn seek help. I know for sure that there are certain claims that people have that shouldn't be taken for granted. Disorders are hard on everyone, the family of the acclaimed sick person and even the society as a whole.

People suffering from any form of mental disorder should seek professional help or better still talk to someone (If no one is listening talk to someone else, eventually someone would hear). According to Frantz Fanon who was an acclaimed Psychiatrist, He insists that "Disorders last for months, wage a massive attack on the ego, and almost invariably leave behind a vulnerability virtually visible to the naked eye. In all evidence the future of these patients is compromised." Disregarding my disapproval for the effort put into the research of certain disorders, there are really things which should be done to help people with it. Please research and find out how you can help or if you can reach out to someone who feels alone in life. Life isn't even easy on its own, then imagine how it feels with such burden. Depression, Cutting and life dangering symptoms are really hard to go through and they are worse when one who is facing them are alone.

Anyways, I found this article 26 Strange, Unbelievably Bizarre And Weird Mental Disorders. Its both funny and didactic. You can also do your own research and find things out for your self.

I know for sure that everyone is unique in their own way. There is one thing thats undeniable "I'm a Limited Edition". And so are you. We are special in our own ways.

Hope you enjoyed my very poor attempt in trying to find the humor in this. I am weird like that, weird things make me happy. But at the same time I hope you would help someone out today. Join NGOs, Charitable organizations that deal with issues I mentioned and more. Talk about it, and talk about the effect such diseases have on the people, family and the society as a whole. You'd feel blessed knowing and helping those who are in need. It might be someone close to you, you might never know.

Aimer!

1 comment:

  1. funny cause when i saw Tourette Syndrome, the 1st thing that poped in my head was cartman and his shenanigans ... strange the kind of impact some things can have init

    cheers and nice blog

    ReplyDelete